Getting unemployment insurance if you move to another state

29 Aug

Employees who qualify for the benefit of insurance unemployment and move to another state, are also able to receive the benefit even after moving. This is because each state participates in the Interstate Benefit Payment Plan. However, you must follow the correct order to qualify for benefits and receive timely payments procedures.


  1. Contact the unemployment office nearest to your new residence. Find out if an initial claim can be made by phone or online, or if it is necessary to do so in person. If the latter is necessary, ask what documentation is required and whether you should make an appointment.
  2. Get the proper documentation to begin the claim. The representative state (to which the worker has moved) can often provide the correct forms. Otherwise, the state agent to gather initial information worker and communicate the responsible state (which currently pays a benefit). The responsible state will then send the appropriate forms to the worker to his new home.
  3. Fill out the application with the state representative in accordance with the instructions given. Waits for application forms or instructions on how to fill out applications weekly by phone. If you do not receive forms or instructions after two weeks, ask at the state unemployment office, which will provide the forms.
  4. Full weekly claims with the state responsible after covering the “waiting week”. After this week of waiting, you receive unemployment benefits. Continuing to seek employment and document all your attempts to get it. If the responsible state will request this information about your efforts to get a new job, submit it in a timely manner to the representative status.
  5. Reports to the state unemployment office once your benefit has expired or when you have got a new job. If your income was over but continue unemployed, the state representative can assist in determining the availability of extending the benefit from the responsible State.

Tips & Warnings

  • In almost all cases, the documentation for your old job, your current address and your phone number, plus your ID and Social Security card will be required to fill an interstate application.
  • If you worked in more than one state, a form of salary Combined may be more useful. The unemployment office in the state representative can advise on the best option.
  • Responsible state will award a 1099 at the end of the fiscal year to record unemployment benefits.
  • Be sure to provide adequate information, especially your address and telephone number, to avoid unnecessary delays in the payment of the benefit.
  • Fail to deliver sufficient documentation about your efforts to get another job may result in the suspension of benefits indefinitely.
  • Complete an application for fraudulent interstate unemployment can lead to both state and federal criminal charges.